You're running out of good video ideas. Here are four reasons why, plus advice on what to do about it.
You've decided you want to expand your video marketing strategy — maybe even start your own YouTube channel. But when you sit down in front of your computer or flip on the camera, it can feel like everything has been done before.
You begin to second-guess yourself and doubt whether you can really pull off original and creative videos that will rally up a dedicated audience. You wonder, how do other people come up with so many ideas?
This fear of running out of ideas is common among brands, entrepreneurs, and YouTubers, but it doesn't have to be this way!
We're going to show you four different ways to make sure you never run out of good video ideas again.
1. Your Niche Is Too Specific
We'll start with the most common reason people run out of ideas: they don't have a niche. Often, we tell creators to have a very specific niche on YouTube. That’s because a channel with random videos – hiking, sports, and movie reviews at the same time, for example – is too broad to capture an engaged audience. Viewers don’t want a hodgepodge of content; they want to see the topics they enjoy.
Don’t get us wrong; niching down is excellent advice for aspiring creators. But in some cases, it’s possible to have a niche that’s too narrow. The boundaries are so tight that it's hard to think of good video ideas routinely.
You can solve this problem by zooming out and thinking bigger. If you review water bottles, for example, think of ideas that overlap with that niche: hydration packs, mugs or water barrels for long-term storage—anything that holds
2. Lean Into Your Passion and Inspiration
Here's the thing: The secret to brainstorming ideas isn’t a secret at all. It’s actually a personality trait most creators have. Unfortunately, that hidden superpower is easy to miss when you’re churning out content.
So here it is...
The more passionate you are, the easier it is to discover YouTube ideas.
And by passion, we don’t mean feeling excited to record videos.
Think of it this way: The more questions you have about a topic, the more videos you can make by attempting to answer those questions.
Imagine that each question equals one video idea. You would need 15 powerful questions to make 15 YouTube videos. You can achieve that volume every month by being curious and exploring your niche to no end.
Thinking about video ideas as stories and action steps will help you come up with more video ideas for YouTube and other social media channels.
3. You’re In A Rut, Experiencing Burnout
It’s not easy to think of new YouTube ideas when you’re exhausted and burnt out. That’s the side of video making some people don’t see. Growing a YouTube channel is fun, but it challenges creators at all experience levels.
You don’t have to stay in a rut though. There are steps you can take to identify what’s causing your burnout and come up with solutions.
Write down your video-making process from start to finish. Include everything: keyword research, filming, editing, making thumbnails, uploading, etc.
Give each task a rating from one to 10, with 10 being the most annoying. Circle the tasks rated 8-10. Any of these could be the source of your burnout.
Think of ways to alleviate those burdens! Maybe you can hire a video editor or use a YouTube ideas generator. Whatever is stressing you out, start looking for solutions
4. You Need New Ways To Get Inspired For Video Ideas
When you're running low on ideas, it can feel like you have a mental block that prevents you from creating great content.
However, when you're looking for new video ideas, it doesn't necessarily mean that your creativity is depleted. It just means that your brain needs a break from the constant flow of work it's been doing.
When your brain is tired, it can be hard to come up with good ideas for videos. So sometimes the best thing is to take a few minutes to refresh yourself and get back into the zone. After all, a fresh perspective always helps!
Here are a few AI and human tools to help you come up with YouTube and other social media video ideas:
- Copy AI: AI powered copywriting and idea generation. In fact, parts of this article were written with this tool to produce new ways of thinking and writing ideas. Copy.ai even has a category titled, “Crazy YouTube Ideas”. Give it a try!
- VidIQ Daily Ideas: You're the creative genius behind your channel, and we know that sometimes you just need a little help. That's why we created Daily Ideas, which uses artificial intelligence to surface the most relevant creative opportunities for your channel, 100% personalized and refreshed every single day. You can use Daily Ideas in two ways: First, click on the "Daily Ideas" link at the top of your dashboard and see a list of ideas that are relevant to your audience and channel. Second, use our search bar to find ideas based on keywords or topics that matter to you, and then click on any one of them to see more details about it!
Ready for more ideas for YouTube, video ads, and more of your content — book a call with team Video Supply today to customize a video marketing strategy for your business.